2006 Summer Institute for Middle & High School Teachers
University of Pennsylvania:
African Studies Center, Middle East Center, South Asia Center, Center for East Asian Studies,
and the Univeristy Museum Education Department
"Teaching about Islam in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East"
June 26-30, 2006
The goal of this workshop is to expose teachers to the diverse histories and complex life experiences of over one billion Muslims in the world today, and to examine the current state of relations that exists between the US and what is popularly referred to as the "Islamic world." Teachers and experts on Islam will engage in discussion on topics that relate to this goal in order to further their knowledge and increase their capacity to teach in the classroom. This summer institute has the following objectives:
- Provide a global survey of the many facets of Islam and current trends and issues facing Muslim populations in Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, and East Asia.
- Explore the relationship between the Islamic world and the US in terms of foreign policies, human rights, democracy, and media perceptions.
- Introduce pedagogical methods on teaching about Islam and Muslims in the classroom.
Selected candidates will be paid a stipend of $200 and receive materials for the classroom, contingent on attendance at all sessions and completion of a basic lesson plan by the last day of the institute based on the instruction provided by expert speakers and curriculum designers . Pennsylvania teachers will receive ACT 48 credit. Teachers from New Jersey can also receive professional development credits through Penn's Graduate School of Education.
- Grace Chung Wilmington – Friends School
- Susan Roth – Kensington Culinary High School
- Alice Bateman – William Penn Charter School
- Aliya Catanch-Bradley – Hill-Freedman Middle School
- Constance Sekaros – McCall Elementary School
- Stephen Shutt – J.R. Masterman School
- Linda Grimwade – Edison High School
- Constance Streitz – Our Lady of Mercy Academy
- Thomas Gallagher – Mount Saint Joseph Academy
- David Boyle – Council Rock High School North
- Tracy Jackson – Penncrest High School
- Sheila Pai – The Philadelphia School
- Samuel Reed, III – D. Beeber Middle School
- Robert Schlichtmann – Edison High School
- Bonnee Breese – Overbrook High School
- Bernadette Smith – Strath Haven Middle School
- Dominic Saadi – Gill St. Bernard
- Cathy Wiseley – The Enrichment Co op of South Jersey
- Jeff Price – Edison High School
- Ann Nagele Mushrush – Cardinal O'Hara High School
- Kerry Prasad – Cheltenham High School
- Linda Flexon – Penncrest High School
- Frank Fisher – Moorestown Friends School
- Brie Valasek – University City High School
- Elissa Drummond – Chalutzim Academy
- Debbie Wile – Wallingford Elementary School
- Randy Johnson – Paulsboro High School
- Carolyn Rivers – Bishop Shanahan High School
- Nabeehah Parker – J.R. Masterman School
- Meghan Zeiders