2005 Summer Institute for Middle & High School Teachers
Dear K-12 Educators:
On behalf of the African Studies Center (ASC) and the Middle East Studies Center (MEC), we want to thank you for your interest in the 2005 Summer Institute on Africa and the Arab World. We received eighty-four applications, from teachers of different grades who represent various schools in the tri-state area and beyond. In rating the application, we relied on the following criteria: grade level, experience, benefit to be gained from attendance, and diversity.
Even with all this in mind, it was not easy for us to come up with a short list of sixteen teachers. There are many outstanding applications, but we came to a close consensus on those whom we selected. Had we have more money in our budget, we could have accommodated more than twice the number we have selected based upon the same criteria.
ASC and MEC are national resource centers federally mandated to support outreach activities for K-12 schools. We look forward to providing more professional development opportunities that will benefit more teachers in our region, and your application to attend this workshop has strengthened our case for future programs. We welcome those who were selected, and we wish all applicants all the best in their plans for the summer, and we look forward to have you in our upcoming workshops that we will offer the next academic year.
Ali Dinar, ASC
Kathy Spillman, MEC
Names of Selected Candidates for 2005 Summer Institute
- Amy Cohen – Masterman School
- Eunmi Mona Park – Levering Elementary
- Gerald Ianelli – Williamstown Middle School
- Jane Rachelle Prusack – Northeast High School
- Johnathan Scherer – WD Kelly Elem & Jr. Academy
- Katie Chastian – Northeast High School
- Lowyn Morris – Wallingford School
- Lynne M Fuller – Haddon Heights High School
- Margaret Guerra – Abington Friends School
- Marta Larrisey – Mount St Joseph
- Naomi O. Szekres – Marriot Hospitality Charter HS
- Robert Nelson – ET Richardson Middle School
- Susan Reardon – Readington Middle School
- Suzzette Rink – Abraham Lincoln High School
- Tatyana Kunevich – Parkway Northwest
- Theresa McCoy – Academy of Notre Dame