MSU Tuesday Bulletin, 09/02/08
The African Studies Center at MSU
About Academics Languages Faculty Resources Research Partnerships Outreach Events Home
Tuesday Bulletin for September 2nd, 2008
Topics covered in this issue: Events | Announcements | Other Announcements | Fellowships
"False Ethnic and Racial Stereotypes and the Contributions All Groups Have Made to Our
Thursday, September 11, 2008
African Studies Center Brown Bag talk with Charles Six, Founder and President of Ending
Stereotypes for America, (ESFA) and MSU Alumni, 12:00 noon, Room 303 International
"Globalization in Reverse: The Impact of High Food Prices in West Africa"
Friday, September 12, 2008
CASID/WID Friday Forum with John Staatz, Professor, (Dept. of Agriculture, Food &
Resource Economics), 12:00 noon, Room 303 International Center.
"South African Politics"
Thursday, September 4, 2008
MSU Political Science department talk with Robert Mattes, Professor, Department of
Political Studies, and Director, Centre for Social Science Research (Univ. of Cape Town,
South Africa), 12:00 noon, Room 104 South Kedzie Hall.
"Echoes of Africa"
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Enjoy African drumming, storytelling, crafts and other cultural activities. This is an African experience presented by One Book, One Community. This is a symbolic event that connects the experiences of the Lost Boys' journey as described in "They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky," 1:00- 2:30 p.m., Adams Field (across the street from the West Circle residence hall complex). Visit http://onebook.msu.edu/events.html for more details.
"What's Wrong With Human Rights Film?"
Thursday, September 18, 2008
African Studies Center Brown Bag talk with Ken Harrow, Professor (English Dept., MSU),
12:00 noon, Room 303 International Center.
MSU Peace Corps Recruiter Position
The MSU Peace Corps Office is seeking applicants for a quarter-time Recruiter Position for
the 2008-2009 academic year, with possible extension for summer 2009 and beyond.
Recruiter must be a current MSU graduate student and RPCV who left Peace Corps service in good standing. The successful candidate will work with the current quarter-time recruiter to meet the office's 2008-2009 recruitment goals. Duties include: recruitment, support, and interview of applicants; event planning; maintenance of MSU Peace Corps website and contacts; presentations to student groups and career fairs; weekly office hours (flexible); creation of monthly reports and yearly recruitment plan; and liaison with Chicago Regional Peace Corps Office. Successful candidate must have outstanding organizational, communication, and presentation skills.To apply for this position, submit resume and cover letter by September 2, 2008, to: Dr. Robert Glew, Center for Advanced Study of International Development, 202 International Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI. 48824; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fellowship/Scholarship Deadlines at MSU
See details of eligibility & applications at: http://ed-web3.educ.msu.edu/ctep/forms/grad-schl-incentive.pdf
-Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Fellowship Program.
Deadline anticipated for October 31, 2008. See Dr. Frank D'itri at 209 International
Center for details and submitting an application.
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship Program (US/ED) - MSU Deadline: MSU September 25, 2008 http://www.ed.gov/programs/iegpsddrap/index.html
- Fulbright Grants for U.S. Students for Graduate Study or Dissertation Research Abroad (IIE) - Deadline: MSU September 25, 2008 (for an MSU faculty review and ranking of proposals). http://www.iie.org
- Fulbright IIE and Other Grants for Graduate Study Abroad - http://www.iie.org/fulbright/ Deadline: October 2008.
- GENCEN Internships
- Deadline Sept. 8, 2008
The GenCen Internship program and the Gender, Justice, and Environmental Change Internship program are accepting applications for fall 2008 internships. Students interested in issues of gender, social justice, community development, health, domestic violence, environmental change, etc., are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity to gain hands on experience interning with organizations working on these issues, while receiving MSU credit. This is the last chance to apply for fall! Applications will be accepted up until September 8, 2008. Application forms are available at http://www.gjec.msu.edu/internship.htm or by emailing the GenCen Internship Coordinator at email@example.com.
Greater Lansing United Nations Assoc. (GLUNA)
GLUNA is planning to celebrate the UN Day of Peace on Sunday, September 21, 2008 at the
Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbot Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823.
An Evening to Discover Cameroon in Lansing, MI
The Cameroonian Community of Lansing extends an invitation to enjoy a special evening with the Cameroonians's of Lansing on Saturday, September 13, 2008, 6:00 p.m. at the University Quality Inn, 3121 East Grand River, Lansing, MI 48912. For advance registration and cost or other information contact one of the following people: Emmanuel Yewah: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: (517) 303-2199; Richard Fotsin: email@example.com; Tel: (517) 347-3494; or Felix Ngassa: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: (517) 648-2775.
Guide to Fellowships and Scholarships for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral
- Islamic Civilization Initiative - Deadline October 2008. http://us.fulbrightonline.org/thinking_type.html#islamic
- International Federation of University Women Dissertation Awards Deadlines for members applying through one of IFUW's 77 national affiliates vary by country, but will normally fall between September 1 and mid-October. http://ifuw.org/fellowships/index.htm
- ACLS/SSRC/NEH Postdoctoral International Area Studies Fellowship - http://fellowships.ssrc.org/areastudies/ and www.acls.org/felguide.htm -Deadline October 2, 2008.- ACLS/SSRC/NEH International and Area Studies Fellowships and ACLS/New York Public Library Residential Fellowships - see http://www.acls.org/felguide.htm. For postdoctoral research in the humanities and related social sciences. Deadline October 2008.
- Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research See www.wennergren.org/.
- Individual Research Grants Program - see http://www.wennergren.org/programs/programs_list.htm?attrib_id=13232 - Deadline: Nov. 1st.
- Awards for African Americans including Dissertation Research - http://scholarships.fatomei.com/african.html.
- World Wildlife Fund of U.S. - Unrestricted Deadline http://worldwildlife.org/bsp/publications/vested_interest/Apresearch.htm .
- Rockefeller Foundation - See: http://www.rockfound.org/ - No announcements of dissertation research at this time. but supports new initiatives in the areas of Creativity & Culture, Food Security, Health Equity, Working Communities, and Global Inclusion.
- National Science Foundation - http://www.nsf.gov/funding/ http://www.nsf.gov/funding/education.jsp?org=NSF&fund_type=1 - Sociology - Oct. 15
- National Science Foundation's Division of Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research - See: http://www.nsf.gov/funding/research_edu_community.jsp
- International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX) Awards - http://www.irex.org. Deadline November 15, 2008.
- Fannie and John Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowships - Deadline: November 2008. http://www.hertzfoundation.org/.
- The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans - http://www.pdsoros.org. Deadline November 1, 2008.
- Winston Churchill Foundation Scholarships - http://www.winstonchurchillfoundation.org/Scholarships.html Deadline November 12, 2008.
- National Physical Science Consortium - Deadline: November 5, 2008. http://www.npsc.org.
- Ford Foundation Minority Predoctoral Fellowships - http://www7.nationalacademies.org/FORDfellowships/fordpredoc.html. Deadline November.
- Charlotte Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships - http://www.woodrow.org/newcombe/. Deadline November.
- Ford Foundation Minority Dissertation Fellowships - http://www7.nationalacademies.org/fellowships/. Deadline November.
- International Issues - Applications for Abe Fellowships for "international multidisciplinary research on topics of pressing global concern." http://www.ssrc.org. Deadline: September 1, 2008
- International Issues - Applications from scholars and other professionals for senior resident fellowships for study on international peace and conflict resolution. http://www.usip.org. Deadline: September 8, 2008.
- Albert Einstein Institute www.aeinstein.org/, Rolling deadline.
- World WID Fellowship Program University of Florida, Gainesville, Office of International Studies and Programs, http://www.ufic.ufl.edu/, Rolling deadline.
- African Training for Leadership and Advanced Skills (ATLAS) U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), African-American Institute, http://www.aaionline.org, Rolling deadline.
- Minority Stipend Fellowships Center for Policy Alternatives. http://www.stateaction.org/. Rolling deadline.
- Visiting Scholars Program Carl Albert Congressional Research and Studies Center University of Oklahoma, http://www.ou.edu/special/albertctr/archives/visit.htm, Rolling deadline.
Fellowships available through the West African Research Association (WARA)
- West African Research Center (WARC) Travel Grant http://www.africa.ufl.edu/WARA/fund_travel.htm, Deadline 1: September 15, 2008 (for travel between January and June).
- Frank Educational Fund (FEF) Grants - http://www.iaud.org/, Deadline 2, October 1.
- Herbert Scoville Jr., Peace Fellowship http://www.clw.org/scoville/ , National Security, Peace Studies. Deadline 2: October 15.
- Luce Scholars Program - The Henry Luce Foundation, http://www.acls.org/grants/Default.aspx?id=516, Deadline November 12.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Sociology Program Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grants - Deadline(s): October 2008 (another deadline is in February 09). NSF Sociology Staff: Patricia E. White email@example.com (703) 292-8762, Kevin Gotham firstname.lastname@example.org, (703) 292-7291, http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/ddrig_contacts.jsp.
- Graduate Student Fellowship Program - Applications due: October 31. http://college.enotes.com/scholarships-loans/canadian-embassy.
- The Foundation for Community Associations Research invites applications for the Byron Hanke Graduate Fellowship for Graduate Research on Community Associations in fields including organizational behavior and economics. Deadline: Open. http://www.cairf.org/scholarships/hanke.aspx.
- The National Science Foundation, Directorate for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences welcomes proposals for Archaeology Grants for Improving Doctoral Dissertation Research. Deadline: continuous. http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/bcs/arch/suppdiss.jsp.
- The National Science Foundation's Directorate for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences welcomes applications for Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grants of the Decision, Risk, and Management Program (DRMS) on behalf of doctoral students at US universities who are about to undertake their dissertation research. Deadline: open. http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/ses/drms/ddrip.jsp.
- The Getty Research Institute offers Residential grants to scholars through its theme-year scholar programs, library research grants, and conservation guest scholars program. Deadlines: Nov. 1 (annual). http://www.getty.edu/.
- The Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) offer fellowships funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for dissertation research in the humanities in original sources. Deadline: Nov. 15 (annual). http://www.clir.org/fellowships/fellowships.html.
- The National Gallery of Art's Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts offers ten Predoctoral Fellowships to support doctoral dissertation research in the history, theory, and criticism of art, architecture, and urbanism. Deadline: Nov. 15 (annual). http://www.nga.gov/resources/casvapre.htm.
- The American Research Institute in Turkey (ARIT) invites applications for several advanced fellowships. ARIT directly supports and administers a variety of programs of fellowships for scholarly research and for language study in Turkey. Deadline: Nov. 1 (annual). http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/ARIT/
- The Kress Foundation offers four pre-doctoral Fellowships in the History of Art for the completion of dissertation research. Deadline: Nov. 30 (annual) http://www.kressfoundation.org/kressorg/predocfell.html.
- The American Educational Research Association offers the Dissertation Grants Program to stimulate research on US education policy and practice related issues, with a priority on mathematics and science education. Deadlines: Aug. 29 http://www.aera.net/grantsprogram/index.html.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as part of its Science to Achieve Results (STAR) program, is offering Graduate Fellowships for masters and doctoral level students in environmental fields of study. The deadline for receipt of applications is October. http://es.epa.gov/ncer/rfa/.- The Tinker Field Research Grants competition was initiated in 1979 within the Foundation's institutional grants program. Deadline October. http://foundationcenter.org/grantmaker/tinker/field.html.
- Council on Foreign Relations offers International Affairs Fellowships. Deadline: October 24, 2008 http://www.cfr.org/about/fellowships/iaf.html.
- For another source of funding opportunities, please review the following database: http://www.isp.msu.edu/students/funding/ or http://environment.msu.edu/news/opportunities/Funding%20for%20environmental%20graduate%20studies%20-%20major%20grants.pdf .
from MSU African Studies Center <Africa@msu.edu>
date Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM
subject Tuesday Bulletin for September 2nd, 2008