UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA - AFRICAN STUDIES CENTER
The Sudan Studies Association of North America (SSA) will hold its annual conference at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia- USA, from May 8-10, 1998.
"Sudan: Lessons from the Past, Lessons for the Future"
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
African Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania
May 8th - 10th, 1998.
- March 1st, 1998 as the deadline for the submission of proposals for papers and panels.
- Abstracts should be approximately 150 words and include the title of the presentation and its topic. The deadline for submission is March 1st, 1998 and the SSA encourages participation of graduate students as well as scholars who specialize in Sudan's neighboring countries. All are welcome to attend the conference.
- Please send panel proposals and paper abstracts to the following address:
Dr. Ann M. Lesch
Political Science Department
800 Lancaster Ave.
Villanova, PA 19085, USA
Fax: (610) 519-7487
- For information about the conference cost and other queries, please contact Dr. Malik Balla, African Studies Center, Michigan State University, 100 Center for Internation Studies, East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1035 United States; Telephone (517) 432-3569; Fax (517) 432-2735; E-Mail email@example.com. For information about hotels, transport, and Philadelphia, please contact Dr. Ali B. Ali-Dinar, African Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The conference will take place at UPenn Houston Hall (the first student union building in the United States), at the following rooms:
- Ben Franklin Room
- Smith-Penniman Room
The followings facilities all lie in the university campus, and within a walking distance to the conference rooms:
- "Sheraton University City", 3600 Chestnut Street. They offer $99.00 per night. Contact Person: Gina, (215) 387-8000 Ext.688.
- "Penn Tower Hotel" Civic Center Boulevard at 34th Street. Rates: $ 104.00 Single and Double, $ 124.00 Triple; (available only from May 9-10th)Telephone : 1 (800) 356-PENN, (215) 387-5125.
- "Divine Tracy Hotel" 20 South 36th Street. This belongs to a religious group, but the place quite clean and comfortable, but no alcohol, and women must wear stocking. Men and women are hosted separately. They offer $33.00 - $40.00 per night. Telephone (215) 382-4310
- "International House of Philadelphia" 3701 Chestnut Street.They offer group rate of $45.00 per night for a single room with shared bathrooms, and living room. Please inform their Housing Office at (215) 387-5125, that you are attending a "UPenn African Studies Center Conference" to get the reduced price.
* From Philadelphia Airport to the conference site or the above listed hotels it costs:
- $20.00 by cab - $5.00 by train to 30th street Station, and then $5.00 by cab to the conference site, or just walk (with light luggage). - $8.00 by Airpost shuttle (Lady Liberty).