UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA - AFRICAN STUDIES CENTER
- ARABIC LANGUAGE ORAL PROFICIENCY TRAINING. Instructors of African languages needing or required to obtain training in the American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview have the following opportunities:
1. Less Commonly Taught Languages (African!) 2. Arabic
All US Department of Education Title VI Language and Area Studies Programs/Center instructors are required to secure this training for funding and for receiving FLAS graduate student language fellowships. Schedules of workshops and training for oral proficiency interviews also availiable. For reservations or information, Contact: Project Director, ACTFL 6 Executive Plaza Yonker, NY 10701-6801. (914) 963-8830.
- MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE- School of Arabic. Offers a 9-week summer Arabic program for 12 credit hours, June-August. Students adhere to a pledge to speak, read and write only Arabic during the entire session, both in and out of the classroom. Graduate internships occasionally available. Apply by January. Contact: Middlebury College, School of Arabic Middlebury, VT 05753-6131 (802) 388-3711 ext. 5529.
- MONTEREY INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES. Offers a summer intensive language program in beginning and intermediate Arabic from June-August, for 12 units. Language house accommodation option available. Contact: Summer Admission Office, Monterey Institute of International Studies, 425 Van Buren Street Monterey, CA 93940 (408) 647-4115; Fax 408-647-3534.
- NATIONAL FOREIGN LANGUAGE RESOURCE CENTER. US Department of Education funding for pedagogical, in-service training of non-Western languages. Contact: University of Hawai'i 203 Webster 2528 The Mall Honolulu, HI 96822 (808) 956-8766 Fax 808-946-2191 Internet firstname.lastname@example.org
- OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY- Arabic Program. "Foreign Language Teachers" - training in MSA Arabic. Phase I Summer Intensive Training June - August Phase II Summer Intensive Training Phase III Summer Abraod (Egypt/Jordan/Tunisia ?) Contact: Mahdi Alosh, ] Arabic Language Program, OSU Columbus, OH.
- SUNY-BINGHAMTON. 1. Offers an Intensive Arabic Studies Program in Tangier, Morocco for fall, spring or both semesters, available every year. 12-16 SUNY credits per semester. Affiliated with King Fahd Advanced School of Translation. Arabic language classes emphasize study of spoken and written Standard Arabic. Open to juniors, seniors or graduates; must have elementary proficiency in Arabic; good academic standing; letters of recommendation; adaptability. Contact: Kevin Lacey, Director Tangier Program, Dept. of Classics & Near Eastern Studies, SUNY-Binghamton P.O. Box 6000 Binghamton, NY 13902 (607) 777-6120.
2. Offers Summer Session Arabic, June-July. The 4-week, 4-credit course focuses on accelerated development of skills in all areas. Contemporary Arabic TV broadcasts are integrated into classroom activity. Open to beginners, intermediate and post-intermediate levels; grads. and undergrads. Contact: Dept. of Classical & Near Eastern Studies, SUNY- Binghamton University, (607) 777-6709; or The Office for Summer Session, Binghamton University, (607) 777-2793.
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA- BERKELEY. Offers Summer Intensive Arabic, June-August. A full year of Elementary Arabic is covered in 10 weeks, for conversation, reading and writing in Modern Standard Arabic. Films and lectures on the culture of the Arabic-speaking world and outings in the San Francisco area are also part of the course. Apply by May. Contact: Summer Sessions, 22 Wheeler Hall, U.C.B. Berkeley, CA 94720 (510) 642-5611.
- UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS- AUSTIN. Center for Middle Eastern Studies (CMES), presents the Summer 1993 Middle East Institute, which will offer intensive Arabic language courses in 2-6 week sessions (June-August). Housing available on UT campus and within walking distance. Contact: Dolly Robinson, CMES, University of Texas- Austin Austin, TX 78712 (512) 471-3881; Fax 512-471-7834.
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN- MILWAUKEE. 1. Jointly with UW- Madison, offer a summer study abroad program at Morocco's Mohammed V University in Rabat (mid-May through mid-July). The 2-month program includes a team-taught course on the history, culture and society of Morocco; Moroccan Arabic; a research or study project; a one-week field trip into Southern Morocco and a week-long stay with a Moroccan family. Students earn 8 credits. Student must have sophomore standing from an accredited university. Apply by February. Contact: University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee, Off-Campus Programs, P.O. Box 413 Milwaukee, WI 53201 (414) 229-5182.
2. Elementary Arabic: An Integrated Communicative Approach, will be
offered (June-August), to depart from other Arabic programs in the U.S.
The program integrates a spoken Arabic dialect (Levantine Arabic) with
Modern Standard Arabic, in a way that reflects the use of the language
by native speakers. Emphasis is on developing useful communication
skills. Apply by April.
Contact: Dr. Munther Younes,
Dept. of Linguistics
University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee,
Milwaukee, WI 53201.
|Previous Menu||Home Page||What's New||Search||Country Specific|