UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA - AFRICAN STUDIES CENTER
Source: Embassy of Eritrea, USA <firstname.lastname@example.org> 3 May 1999
As part of the good offices being made by the state of Qatar to reach a solution for the existing differences between the State of Eritrea and the Republic of Sudan, and in keeping with the traditional ties and historical relations between the two neighboring peoples; and
In response to the mediation by the State of Qatar aiming to establish security and stability in both countries and in the Horn of Africa, and in accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding signed between the two countries in Doha on November 10th, 1998.
A summit meeting was held in Doha on Sunday, May 2nd, 1999, between H.E. Issaias Afeworki, President of the State of Eritrea, H.E. Omar Hassan Al-Basheer, President of the Republic of the Sudan, and H.H. Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar,
Whereas they agreed to the following:
1, Restoring diplomatic relations between the two countries.
2. Respecting international laws and customs regulating peaceful coexistence and good neighborly relations among countries and peoples.
3. Respecting the political choices of both countries and peoples, and refraining from adopting a policy of exporting ideologies and seeking to impose them.
4. Refraining from hosting or organizing regional or international conferences that aim to adopt policies or coordinate tasks posing a threat to the security and stability of neighboring countries.
5. Working to resolve the remaining differences between the two countries through peaceful means.
6. Establishing joint committees between the two countries to examine the remaining issues, especially those related to security, and implement what has been agreed upon in this agreement.
Signed in Doha, on 16/1/1420 H Corresponding to 2/5/1999 G
President of the State of the Sudan Omar Hassan Al-Basheer
President of the Republic of Eritrea Issaias Afeworki
Emir of the State of Qatar Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:32:59 -0300 (GMT+3) From: IRIN - Central and Eastern Africa <email@example.com> Subject: ERITREA-SUDAN: Text of agreement signed in Qatar 
Editor: Dr. Ali B. Ali-Dinar, Ph.D
|Previous Menu||Home Page||What's New||Search||Country Specific|