UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA - AFRICAN STUDIES CENTER
U N I T E D N A T I O N S Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Integrated Regional Information Network for Central and Eastern Africa
Tel: +254 2 622147 Fax: +254 2 622129 e-mail: email@example.com
IRIN Update No. 457 for Central and Eastern Africa (Monday 13 July 1998)
BURUNDI: FDD reiterates non-recognition of Nyangoma
The armed wing of the rebel Conseil national pour la defense de la democratie (CNDD) has reiterated its refusal to recognise CNDD president Leonard Nyangoma, Radio Umwizero reported on Saturday. The comments were contained in a statement issued in Nairobi by the Forces pour la defense de la democratie (FDD). Nyangoma signed the Arusha declaration last month in which 17 Burundian sides pledged to cease hostilities from 20 July, the date of the next round of peace talks.
US urges region to take note of government's achievements
The US State Department last week issued a statement describing the Arusha talks as "very positive and significant". It hailed the role of mediator Julius Nyerere, and praised the Burundi government and parliament for their "commitment to the external peace process". The government had "met a number of very important milestones established by the regional states", the statement added. "The US government urges regional leaders to send a positive signal to the government of Burundi encouraging it to stay the course of negotiations."
Minister holds preparatory meetings in Tanzania
Burundi Foreign Minister Severin Ntahonvukiye, meanwhile, confirmed the government would take part in the 20 July talks. In preparation for the next round, Peace Process Minister Ambroise Niyonsaba reportedly held talks in Dar es Salaam at the weekend with mediator, Julius Nyerere. According to AFP, Niyonsaba was also due to meet Tanzanian government officials. The government is requesting clarification as to who represents CNDD.
Rebels kill 12 schoolchildren
Suspected CNDD rebels killed 12 schoolchildren at Mabanda, in the southern province of Makamba, the Agence burundaise de presse (ABP) reported yesterday (Sunday). It said the children were revising their work, when rebels attacked them using firearms, clubs and knives.
RWANDA: Over 50 rebels killed in military sweep
Over 50 rebels were killed in a military sweep in the northwest prefecture of Gisenyi late last week, the Rwanda News Agency reported. It said the operation was carried out in the communes of Kanama, Mutura, Rwerere and Giciye following tip-offs from the local population. Several guns were also reportedly recovered. Army spokesman Major Emmanuel Ndahiro was quoted as saying one Rwandan was soldier was killed and three injured during the operation.
Kidnapped nuns freed
Three nuns who were kidnapped by rebels last week have been released, according to the bishop of Byumba, Servilien Nzakamwita. AFP quoted him as saying the three, two Rwandans and a Canadian, were released unharmed at Nyarutova in the neighbouring prefecture of Ruhengeri. The nuns were abducted last Tuesday after rebels raided the town of Bungwe in Byumba prefecture. Meanwhile, a Rwandan army officer told a conference on
Christian ethics in the military that Rwandans had lost faith in Christianity because of the role church leaders played in the 1994 genocide. Major Richard Rutatina regretted the fact that Rwanda was known the world over for genocide, RNA reported.
More genocide suspects transferred to Arusha
Four genocide suspects, plus one indicted defendant, were transferred to the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in Arusha on Friday following their arrests in West Africa last month. According to an ICTR press release, the four suspects are Mathieu Ngirumpatse, a former director general of the foreign ministry and president of the former MRND ruling party; Edouard Karemera, former interior minister in the interim government of Rwanda and former MRND vice-president; Joseph Nzirorera, former national assembly president and MRND secretary-general; and Omar Serushago, a businessman and local leader of the Interahamwe militia in Gisenyi prefecture. The fifth person, Emmanuel Bagambiki, a former prefect of Cyangugu, has already been indicted by the Tribunal on genocide charges.
Suspect turns himself in
Another genocide suspect, Major Bernard Ntuyahaga, gave himself up to the Tribunal, the press release said. Ntuyahaga, an officer in charge of logistics at Kigali military camp from January-April 1994, is believed to have failed to prevent the massacre of 10 Belgian UN soldiers.
First post-genocide demographic survey released
The first socio-demographic survey since the 1994 genocide has shown that by 1996, Rwanda had a population of 6,167,000, 60 percent of which was under 20 years of age, RNA reported. The survey, released on World Population Day on Saturday, indicates that of the 71.1 percent active population, 91.1 percent are employed in the agricultural sector. Only 3.9 percent of the population managed to reach secondary education and 0.2 percent achieved higher education. Thirty-four percent of households are headed by women and infant mortality is put at 131 for every 100,000 births. The survey notes Rwanda is one of the most densely-populated countries with 409 people for every square kilometre. By the year 2012, the population is expected to reach 11,284,000.
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO: Aid worker released
An aid worker with Medecins du monde (MDM), who had been detained by DRC authorities since early May, was released on Friday and arrived in France on Saturday, the NGO told IRIN today (Monday). Fabrice Michalon was arrested on 4 May at Goma airport after a soldier denounced him as a Serb mercenary. He was transferred to Kinshasa and remained in custody although no charges were brought against him.
UGANDA: At least one person killed, 11 injured in bomb blasts
At least one person was killed and 11 others wounded in blasts in two Kampala bars during the final of the World Cup, police said today. Police spokesman Eric Naigambi told IRIN the blasts took place at the same time, one in a suburb and one in downtown Kampala. He said a report on who the police believed was responsible for the attacks would be issued shortly.
Meanwhile, AFP reported on Sunday that police in western Uganda had dispersed a meeting called by the opposition Democratic Party to discuss the alleged abuse of human rights in the country. The agency quoted party leader Paul Ssemogerere as saying that police stormed the venue for the meeting, organised by the Uganda Young Democratics on the theme of democracy and human rights on Friday and ordered people to disperse.
US-AFRICA: Rubin kicks off Africa tour
US Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin met the prime minister of the Ivory Coast, Daniel Kablan Duncan, today at the start of a five-nation African tour that will also include South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Kenya. Rubin, who has promised to support reformist African leaders, is accompanied by a large group of US industrialists.
SUDAN: OLS survey says child malnutrition increasing in Bahr al-Ghazal
OLS said in a press release today that a recent set of nutritional surveys conducted by UNICEF in 12 rebel-held locations in Bahr al-Ghazal found that on average 50.9 percent on children were malnourished. In response, OLS is preparing to double the number of children in its feeding programmes. At present, OLS agencies are feeding approximately 14,000 children in 19 feeding centres and plans are underway to increase the number of feeding centres to 38 and the number of children served to 38,000. Around 4,000 of the children are estimated to require therapeutic feeding.
Nairobi, 13 July 1998 15:00 gmt
[The material contained in this communication comes to you via IRIN, a UN humanitarian information unit, but may not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies. UN IRIN Tel: +254 2 622123 Fax: +254 2 622129 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or free subscriptions. If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this item, please retain this credit and disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should include attribution to the original sources. IRIN reports are archived on the WWW at: http://www.reliefweb.int/ or can be retrieved automatically by sending e-mail to email@example.com. Mailing list: irin-cea-updates]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:34:19 +0300 (GMT+0300) Subject: Central and Eastern Africa: IRIN Update 457 for 13 July 1998.7.13 Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.980713173213.5618Afirstname.lastname@example.org>
Editor: Dr. Ali B. Ali-Dinar, Ph.D
|Previous Menu||Home Page||What's New||Search||Country Specific|